Alfresco dining the BLW way!

Alfresco dining the BLW way!

Monday 1 November 2010

Day One of the Homemade Challenge

Ethan Bear loves breadsticks so I thought I would make them for day one of the homemade challenge.  Only problem being the recipe I have calls for a whopping two and a half teaspoons of salt.  The first batch I made blindly following the recipe but when they were done I had a nibble and was shocked at how salty they tasted.  If they are almost too salty for me Ethan Bear won't be having any!  So I changed the quantity to half a teaspoon of salt to see what would happen (with much trepidation after being told salt is important in bread making as it stops the yeast going crazy) and the answer is...the dough was more stretchy and I needed loads more flour when shaping it into breadsticks.  The low salt ones stretched out a bit more in the oven which resulted in slightly fatter breadsticks, not much of a problem there then!  The lower salt ones did not look as pretty as the high salt ones (mind you the high salt ones were not works of art either!) but the benefits of losing the salt outweighed any problems.  It feels good to know exactly what is in Ethan's breadsticks this week and I am amazed at the simplicity of it.  It's mainly flour and water.  Flour is a great source of calcium and iron so a very healthy snack for little bears.         

For breakfast tomorrow Ethan is having creamy apricot and apple oats.  Photos will follow but for now here's the recipes...

No comments:

Post a Comment