Alfresco dining the BLW way!

Alfresco dining the BLW way!

Monday 20 September 2010

First Aid Course

Have completed the first day of paediatric first aid course.  It went really well.  I am now confident that I know what to do if a baby is choking.  You should try and get them to cough and if they can't lean them forwards and administer a sharp tap inbetween the shoulder blades with the heel of your hand five times.  The trainer went over the importance of never blindly putting your fingers in a babies mouth as you are liable to push a blockage further down the throat and do more harm than good.  It made the message of allowing baby to feed themselves taught in baby led weaning seem even more important and relevant.  I would urge every mother and father to attend a paediatric first aid course - the steps needed to save a baby's life are simple once you know them and it makes me feel more confident as a mother.

Below is a link explaining what I learnt :

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/safety/chokingguide/

It feels good to know I have taken the first steps required for my new career as a childminder.  The day was really interesting and I'm looking forward to the second session next week. 

Ethan had a really good day with his Grandma.  He took a little feed of expressed milk from the bottle in the morning and Mum said he seemed fascinated by it.  He hasn't fed from a bottle since May.  He ate some other bits and pieces I had left (made sure they weren't TOO messy as know what a nightmare that can be to get him clean again!).  Apparently he had a few moments where he was a bit upset but generally he was quite happy.  He seems to have come out of this seperation anxiety phase now so that's good.  I feel better about going back to work two days a week in January knowing he will be fine with Grandma.

Am making a vegetarian tagine tomorrow.  Recipe and picture to follow!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment